City of Carlisle Electric Tramways | Wikipedia audio article
Articles, Blog

City of Carlisle Electric Tramways | Wikipedia audio article

October 12, 2019


The City of Carlisle Electric Tramways Company
operated an electric tramway service in Carlisle between 1900 and 1931.==History==
The Carlisle Tramways Order of 1898 authorised the construction of an electric tramway and
construction began in 1899. The system comprised 6 lines radiating from
Carlisle railway station to Newtown, Stanwix, along Warwick Road to Petteril Bridge, London
Road, Boundary Road and Denton Holme. The tramway was operated by the City of Carlisle
Electric Tramways Co Ltd, power being taken from the Corporation’s supply station in James
Street and opened for public service on 30 June 1900
In 1911 the concern was sold to Balfour Beatty who undertook track renewals and replaced
the fleet of tramcars at a cost of £18,000 (equivalent to £1,682,264 in 2016).After
the First World War, the company was unable to expand the services to meet the needs of
an expanding town, and had started its own motorbuses services. In 1926 it changed its name to Carlisle and
District Transport Company.==Fleet==
1-15 Electric Railway and Tramway Carriage Works 1900 – disposed of in 1912
1-12 United Electric Car Company 1912 13 Second hand car (1903) from Ilkeston Corporation
Tramways obtained in 1920 14 English Electric 1925
15 English Electric 1923==Closure==
Carlisle Corporation purchased the assets of the company on 5 March 1931, and after
being unable to get agreement with local bus operators and secure an operating licence,
closed the tramway system on 21 November 1931. In 2011, plans were made to send the remains
of a Carlisle tram to Workington for partial restoration and in 2013 it was announced that
this was about to begin using Wolverhampton Corporation Tramways number 49, based at Black
Country Living Museum, as a model

No Comments

Leave a Reply