We are back in Berlin taking a look at the U-Bahn line U1. Opened in 1902, this line runs for most of its part on an elevated viaduct. The first station is Schlesisches Tor in the district of Berlin-Kreuzberg. It is the second-last station on the line, with the terminus Warschauer Straße on the eastern bank of the River Spree. Many stations on the line have a quite beautiful station roof architecture. Line U1 is part of the “Kleinprofil” division with a smaller loading gauge, as are the lines U2, U3, and U4. During the division of Berlin, this station was the eastern terminus since the next station “Warschauer Straße”, was already in East Berlin. Today, trains go all the way to Warschauer Straße. This is a GI stock train, also lovingly called “Gisela”. These trains were manufactured in East Germany during the 1980s. On the day of filming, there were plenty in operation. The GI stock has a very characteristic high-pitch traction sound. The departing train is formed of A3L 92 stock. One station west from before, we are now at Görlitzer Bahnhof. The station is named after a former railway station, which has been closed in 1951. Today the site is a large park. When it opened in 1902, the station was called Oranienstraße. It has been renamed to Görlitzer Bahnhof (Oranienstraße) in 1926, and finally to Görlitzer Bahnhof in 1982. Another Gisela train departing eastbound. We are now two stations west from before. The westbound platform is accessed via this building. Looking towards the east, one can see the elevated viaduct at the centre of the road. Access to the eastbound platform is via this glass building, which was constructed in 1991 to replace the prior brick station building which stood on the same site. The station roof construction is similar to that of the previously shown station. This is an A3E stock train, originally constructed in 1966, but modernised in 2005. The yellow lighting of the station makes for a stark contrast with the deep blue evening sky. The Gisela is my favourite stock on the Berlin U-Bahn. View from the western end of the station. This is the same train departing towards Warschauer Straße station. Again, we hopped two stations westward. This station is on the bank of the “Landwehrkanal”, a canal flowing through the Borough of Kreuzberg. The original station as it opened in 1902 was very similar to Görlitzer Bahnhof, seen earlier. The station as it appears today has been rebuilt during the Nazi era in 1937. Its roof now covers the entire length of the platforms. Once more, two stations west from before. The U-Bahn line travels underground, with the station entrances located on the centre of the street. Construction of the underground stations is done in typical cut & cover fashion with steel columns supporting the street above. This station opened in 1926 and is not part of the original line. It is located parallel to the main line a few hundred metres away and was conceived to relieve pressure off the very busy section between Gleisdreieck and Wittenbergplatz. The architecture is unpretentious as the station was constructed during a time where money was scarce. We have now arrived at the western terminus. This train terminates here and will reverse via sidings beyond the station platforms. On the other platform trains are departing for Warschauer Straße. U-Bahn map from 1927; U1 is green.